Friday 16 March 2012

Henderson joins Hammers


West Ham have announced the capture of highly-rated goalkeeper Stephen Henderson on an emergency loan from cash-strapped Portsmouth.
The 23-year-old has linked up with the Hammers on a deal that will initially run until the end of the season.
The former Republic of Ireland U21 international has been a regular for Pompey this season but, after seeing them slip into administration, has jumped at the chance to join a side pushing hard for promotion back to the Premier League.
"As everybody knows, Portsmouth have financial difficulties, so I was told that West Ham put a bid in on Friday and that bid was accepted," Henderson told the Hammers' official website.

Challenge

"I'm sad to leave Portsmouth but very happy to join a successful club in West Ham.
"I'm aware that I might have to wait for my chance because Robert Green is one of the best goalkeepers in the Championship - everyone knows that. I will just come here, work as hard as I can and hopefully be ready when I'm given my chance.
"I played against West Ham for Portsmouth at Fratton Park and we lost 1-0 to a Mark Noble penalty, so I did okay there and the season has gone pretty well personally.
"Obviously it's been pretty difficult with everything that has been going on, but it's made me a stronger person and I'm ready for a new challenge."
Get the best football odds at Bet365